Pages

10/28/05

Monty's Rascals



I had a dream last night (which my dreams seem to be getting really wierd latley, much like my blogs) where I was sharing my experiences watching Monty's Rascals with someone. This was a local kids show that aired for about 20 years in the Greenville area. The stars of the show were Monty DuPuy and Mr. Doohickey. I do not remember that much about the show but they always had a studio full of kids, they gave the kids candy and icee's and they showed cartoons. The hip thing to do was to wear your cub scout uniform on the show.

I got to be on the show probably near the end of it's run near 1980ish. I was really disappointed to find out that DuPuy nor DooHickey did not show up on this day and no freaking icees either. I got dressed up in my cub scout uniform for nothing, nothing i say, absolutly nothing. Oh by the way while on the subject someone owes me a Webelos badge!

9 comments:

Sandy said...

I remember "Monty's Rascals" -- I grew up in Danielsville, Georgia (near Athens) and picked up Channel 4 out of Greenville, SC. Although I remembered what Mr. Doohickey looked like, I hadn't seen an image of him since the show was originally on-the-air.

Ah, those Saturday mornings... Monty's Rascals (he showed more cartoons and also Little Rascals films), Fat Albert, and then Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling with the likes of Black Jack Mulligan, Johnny Weaver, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, and (my personal favorite) Rufus R. "Freight Train" Jones.

Then we'd always get spooked out watching whatever horror film played on "Shock Theatre" on Channel 13 out of Asheville.

Those were the days...

adrian said...

If you like Mid-Atlantic from those days you should check out
www.midatlanticgateway.com
a lot of fun stuff there.
Thanks for posting!

Sarah said...

I so remember Monty's Rascals with Mr. Dookickey and his laugh. But the one thing that surprised me was the comment about Shock Theatre. I have talked with several people who grew up in Greenville, S.C. and they remember Monty's Rascals but not Shock Theatre. So good to read that someone else remembers too.

RonP said...

Monty Dupuy was the meterologist at WFBC-TV (check out the wikipedia entry on WFBC). Stowe Hoyle, who was "Mr. Doohickey", was also a weatherman at the station.

nunu said...

I remember clearly watching Monty's Rascal every morning before school. Saturday mornings meant pancakes, School House Rock, Land of the Lost, Banana Splits, HR Puffnstuff. Loved shock theatre with the introduction of the big witch mask. Those were the good ole' days. Thanks for the memories. Ronda age 42 in Seneca, S.C.

Anonymous said...

I am doing some research for a project on Greenville, SC radio DJ's --> does anybody have old pictures and a biography/age or birthdate of Monty Dupuy? Thanks...

KeelanParham said...

Yep, I grew up in Gville in the 70s and I remember "Shock Theater" as well. My parents wouldn't let me watch it, so that was the end of my Saturday morning TV!

Anonymous said...

I was living in Fountain Inn, SC in 1965 and was on "Monty's Rascals" as part of a school mate's birthday celebration. Each was on every afternoon at that time. Someone mentioned "Shock Theater". That I definitely remember! What a blast from the past.

Leah said...

Yuuup good ol' Monty and Doohicky. I grew up in G'ville and was on Monty's Rascals in the 60's. Probably around '66 or '67. My mom use to have Monty's radio show on every morning during breakfast. And don't forget about Monty's Mynah Bird "MO"